Home is more than a place where you rest your head at night. For me, it's a place where I unwind from a long day, where I feel safe, and where I look forward to spending time. If you are like me, you probably want, ahem, scratch that, NEED your home environment to be a place where you can take both personal and physical refuge. I know when I get home from work, it is here that I balance myself and my psyche. Home is the place where I relax, regroup and reinforce the best parts of who I am.
The older I get, the more I've learned just how important it is to have a home base. As a young twenty something year old the whole world seemed to be calling me to explore. And explore I did. I still do. But I have learned that more important than travel is having a comfortable, cozy, home to come back to. It doesn't matter the size or what it's worth for that matter... just that it is mine.
And that's why if you're like me, you spend a lot of time looking for affordable ways to make your home feel cozy and inviting. There are a ton of things you can do to a room or space that will quickly and affordably take it from average to super inviting. And you don't have to have a background in interior design or decorating either — ANYONE can rework their space and make it feel more relaxing and restorative.
If you're looking for ways to "cozify" your home, here are five inexpensive ways to do so...
1. Layers Upon Layers: One of the fastest and easiest ways to warm up a space is by layering furniture with blankets and pillows. I recommend layering a bed or couch with a comforter and soft cotton blanket or coverlet on top so you have options for warmth, and then adding pillows of various shapes and sizes to add some dimension.
2. Soft/Patterned Rugs: A patterned rug with a texture that is inviting is a great way to add comfort and warmth to a room. Not to mention rugs on bare floors help keep the house warm!
3. Lighting is Key: Lighting is an extremely important part of creating ambiance in a space. Avoid bright and fluorescent lighting. Instead opt for floor and table lamps with dimmers. This will give you instant cozification!
4. Candles are an Essential Accessory: I am a lover of all candles! They truly help transform the mood of any room with their soft amber glow. Not to mention the enticing fragrance to complement the décor throughout your interior. I recommend using candles of varying sizes to create dimension.
5. Flowers and Plants: This is my absolute favorite tip for "cozy-ing" a home! Fresh flowers and plants are a great way to bring some vibrancy and natural beauty to a room while also making the space feel extremely welcoming. You can make inexpensive flowers look amazing in basic containers (think mason jars etc). And in the summer if you grow flowers in your garden, feel free to clip your own bouquet! I got into the habit of doing that last summer and it has changed the overall ambience of our home.
Loving your home is an important part of feeling good, and a cozy living space is not only achievable, but affordable too. Just keep color, lighting, and soft fabric in mind when choosing basic furniture pieces and soon you will have a comfy space you'll probably never want to leave!