Have you ever thought about what lies ahead? Say in ten years time? Do you ever think about what your life might look like? Perhaps you will have a house, a couple of kids, maybe you'll become a nomadic wanderer of the earth, traveling to each of it's corners, exploring outside of your own home. Maybe a puppy is in your future or a dream wedding to Prince Charming.
These goals seem pretty exciting, and perhaps a bit daunting? But hey, don't you worry, we have plenty of time, so make sure not to rush.
Over the last five years I have learned just how important it is to start changing your life in ways your future self will thank you. Often times I think what would my future self tell me to do right now to change my life? Maybe she'd say to take a deep breath and take one step at a time. Slow and steady does in fact win the race!
So I'm thinking ahead. I've come up with a handful of life hack tips to help change your life... shall we?
1. Be Healthy: I had to take a really hard look in the mirror and come to terms with the fact that I was not as healthy as I could be. In January I started working out more regularly and joined a studio that has become my home away from home. I've learned that our health does not remain the same. Our physical, emotional, and spiritual state changes, as we get older. What we can control however is how we feed our minds and our bodies. Living a balanced and healthy life builds our resilience to the physical changes of our body. Exercise is the best way in which we can attain a positive and optimistic attitude toward life.
2. Learn Something New: Each time you learn something new you gain more knowledge and with more knowledge comes more confidence. Learning helps us to be more adaptable and flexible to new situations. Learning encourages us to be more creative and innovative in our thinking and we are therefor more comfortable with the unknown.
3. Travel NOW!: Nothing changes the way you view your own life experience like seeing the way other people live. Not only will you be more appreciative and thankful for the life you have, you’ll also have a new sense of wonder and empathy for other cultures and countries. Soak in the language, the lifestyle and what people in foreign countries value—you’ll realize it’s different everywhere in the world and it will undoubtedly make you evaluate your own values. I for one completely understand the true power of traveling. Once you have had the opportunity to look up at the Eiffel Tower or see the beaches in Thailand, you will realize that those experiences completely out-value any merchandise you could ever purchase. One of the best pieces of advice I have ever been given is to invest in what’s important to you. Go to places you haven’t been and immerse yourself in new cultures. Travel doesn’t become something you do—it’s a way of life.
4. Save Some Money: Have fun, but save a little too. It is so important to put money in a retirement fund or savings account. You will be doing your future self a favor for sure!
5. Make New Friends: Making new friends can be intimidating, but it’s one of the most rewarding things you can possibly do. Friends form a big part of our lives.. They are the ones whom we walk through life together. Those we share our ups and downs, and pains and joys. Without them, life wouldn’t be the same at all. We wouldn’t be who we are if not for them. Open your heart and mind and get to know the person. A warm showing of love and respect with a genuine desire to develop a long lasting relationship will go a long way in making your life more complete. Authenticity in relationships is so important and allowing yourself to create and hold onto those friendships will only add more joy and purpose to your life.
Tell me... what life hack tips can you add to this list?